Monday, June 10, 2013

Machine Embroidered Coasters

It's been a busy week getting ready for the spring craft fair circuit.
I found wonderful machine embroidery designs for candle mats from Five Star Fonts. They come in several shapes, have four different quilting stitches and are made entirely in the hoop. I love that they use small pieces of fabric so I can use up some of my fabric stash! I am selling them as coasters/mug rugs/candle mats.
While looking for ideas on Pinterest, I saw a beautiful oriental fan shaped coaster. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a tutorial, but knew I could figure it out. So, I opened my Electric Quilt software and printed a 6 inch fan block pattern for paper piecing.  I paper pieced the fan blades, then appliqued the center. Again, this pattern uses small pieces so I can use up those 2 1/2" strips left over from another project.
My last project for the week was totally unexpected. We planned a bridal shower for a co-worker this afternoon after school.  Her fiance's mother called me last night in a panic.  She had cut out paper bells, written a letter on them and handed them out to our staff.  She asked everyone to write words of wisdom for the new bride on their bell using their selected alphabet letter.  She planned to have everyone read their advice and pin the bells on a sash.  Unfortunately, she could not find a suitable sash.  So, of course she called me. I checked the web to find the usual dimensions, and went looking for fabric. I machine embroidered her new monogram on the front and the words "Off the Market" on the back.  She was very touched by the gesture and now has a one-of-a-kind sash.

The rest of the week should be quiet.  I am walking at our area Relay for Life on Friday night and my son is coming for dinner on Sunday.  Enjoy your week!

1 comment:

Please feel free to comment.